Central Baptist Church of Westerly History
16 Elm Street, Westerly, RI 02891
Phone: (401) 596-4929
Check out our blog at Central Baptist Life
The First Baptist Church building was torn down to make room for a
shopping area. At that time the Babcock Memorial Stained Glass Window
was removed from the First Baptist Church and installed in the CBC Chapel
to commemorate the connection with First Baptist.
The Babcock family came to the Westerly area in 1662 and was one of the
original settlers. Their ancestors were prominent in the area for many years
The roots of Westerly's Central Baptist Church (CBC) go back to the founding of the First Baptist Church in 1835 and
the Calvary Baptist Church in 1872. First Baptist Church on Broad St. in downtown Westerly and the Calvary Baptist
Church, nearby on Elm St., voted to merge at a meeting held on June 11, 1946. Both churches went into the merger in
strength, not in weakness. Each was at a high point in its life. The members had enthusiasm and conviction that greater
good could be accomplished as one church.
The charter of the new church was dated January 17, 1947. The new church building was then constructed at 16 Elm
St. and dedicated on May 17, 1953. An addition, which included an educational wing with several classrooms, a chapel,
parlor, library and offices for the pastor and secretary was completed and dedicated on November 30, 1958.
In November 1970, the Central Nursery School was started and has remained a highly regarded
nondenominational preschool for the children of Westerly and surrounding areas. Visit the Central Nursery School
Website at centralnurseryschool.webs.com for more information about their programs and enrollment. The Email
address to reach one of our staff is email@example.com
Central Nursery School